Truthwitch

Truthwitch - Susan Dennard

It's very hard for me to star rate this book. I've been going back and forth between 3 or 4 stars. I really enjoyed the book BUT I just have that feeling that the next book in the series may be so much better. I wish there was a 'let me wait and see how this plays out' rating.

I was slow getting into it. The world building was a little bit confusing... and come to think of it, I'm still kind of confused. I'm a little in the dark about how the whole magical world works with the different kind of witches (truthwitch, treadwitch, bloodwitch, windwitch, etc.) and how they all relate to the Cahr Awen thingy and what the Original Wells are suppose to represent. Also, I'm not sure exactly where the different Kingdoms/territory (?!?) are situated in relation to one another. Maybe a map would have helped. But, that didn't get in the way of me being able to comprehend and really enjoying the book.

I LOVED that the story centers around two female protagonist and the concept of true friendships and loyalty. It's not a Romeo and Juliette type of, star-crossed lovers story that you find in so many YA fantasy novels that makes me want to puke. While there is sort of a little bit of that mixed in, it's not the main focus of the story. It's really about two witches growing up in a cruel world, trying to find their place in a unstable society on the brink of war and their bond to each other.

Also, not a big fan of the cover. But, that is a minor detail.

It was really refreshing to read a book where both main characters were kick ass females who are willing to take on the world together. No cat fights, not jealous, no fighting over some guy, just true female friendship.