Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice (Alma Evergreens) - Jane Austen

This is another one of those books that makes me feel like I am a little left out of the cool kids club. Like, maybe I should re-read the book. Am I missing something? I know people profess their undying love for this book, and it is a literary classic ... and I should be head over heals in love too. And, I may get a lot of hate for this but I thought it was a little ridiculous. I know, I am supposed to love it... but I don't.

Who uses the word vexation in a conversation? Really? Did they use those words in everyday conversation in England in the 19th century? I'm not quite sure about that.

The whole plot is essentially about five sisters trying to marry well. And by marry well, I mean, trying to find a rich husband to take care of you. That is basically the main objective of the characters in the book. I understand that I have to look at it through the lenses of the values of the time but lets be real. What was supposed to be so scandalous, wasn't really that big of a deal. I am sure there was a lot more stuff going on in that period. Any the way they handled it... no. I can't even go there.

I guess I have a hard time relating to the characters or their objectives. Jane Austin was a novelist herself, a working woman of sorts, and her characters have no profession or ambitions at all. Well, other than to marry rich men. All the characters essentially just waited around to get married and went for walks. I guess what I am trying to say is that I prefer main characters with some real grit to them. I want my heroine to be a real heroine and not to wait for some guy to save the day.

In the modern era, I feel like this would have just been an episode on As The World Turns or some other soap opera. Don't get me wrong, I love a good soap operas. But they are what they are...

My real ambitions are to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies then see the movie. Just thought I should read the original first.