The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain, Guy Cardwell, John Seelye

Mark Twain writes the best first person narrative voice I have ever read. He's so witty that I caught myself laughing out loud several times. It's a good thing nobody else was around because I probably would have been committed.

The story itself is one of those 'too good to be true' type of old tale stories. Very charming and endearing. It has the same type of quality as the movie Forrest Gump. You can't help but love Huck Finn's oddball, free-spirited, eccentric character.

But I'm not going to lie. The first half was difficult to get through. And even thought I enjoy his writing style, I just could not get into it. I loved Huck and was rooting for Jim but I really felt that there was no real purpose to some of the events or maybe they just dragged out a little too long. I essentially forced myself to continue reading. That's why I only gave it 3 1/2 stars. If I had to base it solely on the last half, it would be a full 5 star book.

I was aware going into of the use of a certain derogatory racist term in the book. I understand it was used to make a point and it was true to the time period of when the book was written and ..blah blah blah... I understand, but I was just not prepared to how much this word was used. I guess I had a hard time wrapping my head around a culture that just so freely used the term.

This is one of those books that are just so culturally relevant, especially in North America, that everyone should at least read once. I'm glad I did.